Faux Driftwood Tutorial

August 20, 2015

One of the bookcases in our new home was lacking something. It wasn't quite tall enough to reach the ceiling so I had all this blank space from 3/4 of the way up the wall. I wanted the room had a bright beachy feel so I had the idea to put some white washed decorative driftwood on top. Only, I don't live near the beach, we already took a beach vacation this year and I didn't want to buy a bunch of sticks for $25+ on the internet.
So I ventured out into my backyard!

We had recently cleared out a bunch of shrubs and trees so I found a couple branches off that pile. Look for twisty looking branches. If they're too long then break them. I recommend breaking them by hand instead of cutting them since it will have a more authentic look. Sometimes you just have to use a saw which isn't the end of the world. This is the stick I used to make the bundle above. I broke off a few pieces by hand and sawed off another piece.
Dump them in the tub! Fill the tub so that they are all covered then let them soak for 24 hours. Weigh them down with another plastic container filled with water.
The next day start peeling the bark off. I just used my fingers to peel it off but if you have a hard bristled brush like a wire brush that can help.
Let them sit out in the sun. This will dry them out and slightly bleach them.
Go mix a little bit of acrylic paint in a bowl with 4 times as much water.
Using a brush paint it on your driftwood then let dry.

Attach your pieces together. I used screws but longer nails or staples might work as well depending on the thickness of your branches.
Done!



0 {comments}:

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...